While estate planning is important to all families, it is crucial to young families. In this video K&G partner Bernie Greenberg discusses why.
Category: Bernie Greenberg
Resolve to Complete Your Estate Plan
The new year brings excitement, opportunity and resolutions. Often people resolve to complete their estate plan in the coming year. Given that most people do not have a current, integrated and HIPAA compliant plan, that is a great resolution.
So how do you get started? Start by watching this video, especially if you have a family:
Your goal should be to have an integrated and HIPAA compliant plan. To learn what plan is right for you and your family, call our office today at 303-688-3535 to schedule your in depth estate planning assessment. You’ll be glad you did.
The Gift of Estate Planning
Many articles have been published about the gift of estate planning. In fact, it is one of the most important gifts you can give to your family and loved ones. A well crafted estate plan represents part of your legacy and how you will be remembered. How you would like to be remembered when you are gone and does your estate plan reflect those wishes?
Why can estate planning be such important gift for your family? Consider these benefits your family receives from your well thought out plan:
1. Protection for your spouse from creditors and predators. Are you leaving a plan which exposes your spouse to risk or protects them?
2. Protection of children from the over indulgence of youth, protection from creditors and protection against predators. Does your plan for your children provide these protections?
3. Inclusion of grandchildren or other family members who are disabled. Such issues should be considered in every plan. Are they addressed i yours?
4. Asset and probate planning. Do your assets create problems and are these issues addressed in your estate plan?
5. HIPAA compliance. Protection of your health information is important in our electronic age. Is your entire plan and all documents HIPAA compliant? If not it needs to be.
6. How recently have your reviewed your plan? Plans older than 5-7 years may create unexpected traps and negative results for your family. Has your plan been reviewed recently?
Does your current plan provide these benefits to your family? Now you know why estate planning is one of the best gifts for your family not only at the holiday season but also year round.
The Importance of Proper Beneficiary Designations
In estate planning, the details matter. In fact they matter so much that the tiniest of details can derail your entire plan. A good example of that is your beneficiary designations.
Beneficiary designations can be on things like bank accounts, insurance policies, IRA’s and brokerage accounts. The key question is are your beneficiary designations synchronized with your estate plan? If they are not then your estate plan can fail.
To avoid the inadvertent failure of your plan, work with your estate planning attorney to check each beneficiary designation to ensure coordination with your estate plan.
Protect Yourself and Family from Scams and Fraud
Our firm is located in Castle Rock, Colorado, currently rated as one of the most desirable places to live in the U.S. As our community has grown it has attracted an assortment of scammers, fraudsters and con-artists. Each year we publish an article on the latest tips you can use to protect your family and yourself from getting scammed. Here is our 2019 update on avoiding fraud and cons.
Here are some of the latest frauds to watch out for:
1) Fake families begging at local stores.
2) Fake notices on obtaining recorded documents about real estate.
3) The ever popular robo call now also on your cell phone.
4) Skimming machines at local gas stations.
5) In good weather the always annoying door to door sales person.
6) Internet scams now appearing on your facebook and twitter pages and in the groups you follow there.
There are many more and scammers get bolder and more sophisticated each day. Your job, with these tips is to outsmart the con-artists. Here are several tips to use:
1) Any time and in any place that you feel threatened or uncomfortable, call the police or sheriff’s office. Nothing makes rats run away faster than the cops arriving.
2) If you are unsure about an offer or sales person, check them out before signing anything or giving them money. Use these links to get more detailed tips:
3) Ask your lawyer or CPA for their opinion before you hand your hard earned money over to someone. Your lawyer and CPA owe you what is called “fiduciary care” so they are required to have your interest paramount.
4) As hard as this may be to do, NEVER EVER give money to someone who is begging at the store. If you fail to follow this rule you will probably see that fake family at the car dealer buying their next car with your money!
5) As fun as it is to follow advice on facebook, twitter and nextdoor, don’t buy ANYTHING just because you see it there. I recently purchased a tool for my bike on facebook and, to my total dismay it was a total piece of garbage and I should have known better!
The basis rule in our law is Caveat Emptor. This means that only you can prevent fraud and only you are the best means to protect yourself from scams and con-artists. Remember this: Be careful out there!
K&G Attorney Named 2019 Castle Rock Citizen of the Year
K&G happily announces that the Castle Rock Chamber of Commerce has named K&G partner Bernie Greenberg as the 2019 Castle Rock Citizen of the Year. Bernie’s involvement in the local community is extensive as he has a long list of community service and is the 2019-2020 Chair of the Castle Rock Chamber Foundation, a 501(c)(3) charity which provides public education in business, economics and civics. Congratulations to Bernie Greenberg!
Bernie Greenberg Named Best Lawyer in Castle Rock
The head of the K&G Estate Department Bernie Greenberg has again been named the 2018 Best Lawyer in Castle Rock by the readers of the Castle Rock News Press. Congratulations to K&G’s own Bernie Greenberg!
K&G Lawyers Are Active in Our Community
K&G partner Bernie Greenberg is now the immediate past chair of the Castle Rock Chamber of Commerce and the current chair of the board of directors of the Castle Rock Chamber Foundation.
The foundation provides education to the public and schools on the economy, business and finance to equip the public to be better citizens and understand how our economy works. By providing these educational programs the Castle Rock Chamber Foundation reduces the financial burden to local governments who lack resources to provide such education.
Greenberg, who heads K&G’s Estate Planning Department had this comment, “It is honor to serve the Castle Rock Chamber Foundation as it’s chair and move our community forward with broader and deeper understanding of how the economy works.”
Bernie Greenberg Named Best Attorney in Castle Rock
Kokish & Goldmanis’ own Bernie Greenberg was named Best Attorney in the Castle Rock News-Press 2017 Reader’s Poll!
Bernie Greenberg Elected as Chairman of the Board by the Castle Rock Chamber of Commerce
K & G attorney Bernie Greenberg was elected to serve as the Chairman of Board for 2017-2018 by the Castle Rock Chamber of Commerce. Bernie also serves as a board member and member of the executive committee for the Castle Rock Chamber.
Mr. Greenberg also completed a two year stint as the lawyer coach of the Douglas County High School Mock Trial Team and service to Leadership Douglas County.
K & G continues it’s long standing commitment to community service through it’s attorneys. K & G believes that we help families succeed by assisting move our community forward.